HVM AMI

Vitaly Kuznetsov vitty at redhat.com
Thu Aug 29 09:19:21 UTC 2013

"Olivier Delrieu" <olivier.delrieu at pgxis.com> writes:

> Dear All,
>
> We have been using clusters of home-made, paravirtual, S3 based, F11
> instances for quite some time now.
>
> We now need to use cluster compute instances. If I am not mistaken,
> these have to be HVM & EBS based.
>
> So I am looking for a Fedora AMI that would be HVM & EBS based. I’ve
> found the latest F19 EBS based AMI, but these are paravirtual.
>
> If there is no such instance, is there a way:
>
> - to convert a paravirtual instance into a HVM instance (that would be
> ideal as we still need paravirtual instances)

I can suggest sophisticated way I've used to create F18 HVM AMI for my
own (ami-eeac3187, us-east-1, feel free to use it):

1) Start any existent HVM AMI (I used RHEL)
2) Upload RAW image with fedora
3) Overwrite hard drive with Fedora's data (I don't exactly remember
but I think I was using dd)
4) Sync & reboot -f
5) Create AMI of your instance

Warning: I'm not sure AMI won't have 'RHEL' billing product attached
after all.

--
  Vitaly Kuznetsov <vkuznets at redhat.com>