PRD use cases

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Dec 9 19:39:34 UTC 2013

Right now, the example use case we have is "cloud image on AWS". This
suggests that we should have a parallel "cloud image on OpenStack" as
another primary target, but then as I went to fill that in, I thought...
maybe this is going about this wrong. I think this is a step or two too low
level. How about instead, we make the use case be

* Web Application Deployment in a Public Cloud

  Modern web applications are deployed as a collection of interconnected
  services, including parts like web servers, application servers,
  databases, and caching layers. Fault tolerance is handled at the overall
  orchestration level rather than by individual instances Fedora Cloud can
  be the base of each of these parts, providing recent libraries, server
  software, and language toolchains. Each system will be managed using the
  public cloud's own management tools plus a configuration management system
  like Puppet, Chef, or Ansible.

* Web Application Deployment in Hybrid Cloud

  As above, but rather than a single cloud provider, the application
  seamlessly takes advantage of resources in both a private and public
  cloud.

* Separate use case for Private Cloud?

  _______________ (Or combine into one of the above?)

* Non-web applications? Data crunching?

* Docker Container Host

  Docker is a technology for running applications inside a protected
  container. These containers run under the host kernel, but otherwise
  are self-contained. The Fedora Cloud image running in either a private
  or public cloud can provide the host level, including basic docker
  management tools plus tools for security and for access to storage.

* Something with Vagrant?