PRD use cases

Joe Brockmeier jzb at redhat.com
Tue Dec 10 14:57:22 UTC 2013

On 12/10/2013 08:45 AM, Sandro "red" Mathys wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Joe Brockmeier <jzb at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 12/10/2013 04:45 AM, Matthias Runge wrote:
>>> Two short thoughts about this:
>>> - do we really need to distinguish between public, private and hybrid
>>> cloud? IMHO that shouldn't really matter for the image.
>>
>> It matters for the image format (AMI vs. qcow2, etc.) and may matter for
>> packages that are included in the image as well.
>
> Why would it matter for the format? AMI or qcow2 both work in public,
> private and hybrid clouds. Or am I missing something?

AMI is preferred on Amazon. Don't think it's a supported format for
CloudStack, not sure about OpenStack. I don't think you can directly
import qcow2 to EC2.

Also: we're already producing these images. I'm guessing we didn't do so
randomly.

> Any examples what should be different in terms of packages? I can't
> think of anything that is public/private/hybrid specific.

EC2 has its own tools that, IIRC, are bundled with the AMI. (ec2-utils)
Not sure whether we can ship that package or not, I don't see it currently.
--
Joe Brockmeier | Principal Cloud & Storage Analyst