Issues with devstack on both Fedora 17 and 18

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Feb 8 14:31:29 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 02:23:07PM +0000, Kyle Mestery (kmestery) wrote:
> Tried this on the openstack-dev list, but didn't hear anything, thought I'd try the Fedora Cloud mailing list since this is Fedora specific.
>
> On both Fedora 17 and Fedora 18, when I use devstack, after a devstack run my D-Bus daemon has died such that systemctl no longer works. If I try to run systemctl, I see this:
>
> [kmestery at fedora-mac devstack]$ systemctl
> Failed to get D-Bus connection: No connection to service manager.
> [kmestery at fedora-mac devstack]$
>
> I've googled around for this, but haven't seen anything concrete.
> Does anyone have any idea what might be happening, or where I
> could look to understand why this is happening? A reboot of the
> host fixes things, but another devstack run leaves the system in
> the same state.

I've never experianced this issue with DevStack / DBus on any F17
or F18 system I've used. I guess it could be something peculiar to
your particular devstack config - what is in your 'localrc' ?

I successfully run devstack on F18/F17 using the following, on a
regular basis

$ cd $HOME/cloud/devstack
$ cat localrc
DEST=$HOME/src/cloud
DATA_DIR=$DEST/data

LOGFILE=$DATA_DIR/logs/stack.log
SCREEN_LOGDIR=$DATA_DIR/logs
VERBOSE=False

disable_service rabbit
enable_service qpid
disable_service tempest

# If i want to test spice instead of VNC
#enable_service n-spice
#disable_service n-novnc
#disable_service n-xvnc

# If I want to test quantum instead of nova-network
#Q_PLUGIN=linuxbridge
#Q_PLUGIN=openvswitch
#disable_service n-net
#enable_service q-svc
#enable_service q-agt
#enable_service q-dhcp
#enable_service q-l3
#enable_service q-meta
#enable_service quantum

MYSQL_PASSWORD=123456
SERVICE_TOKEN=123456
SERVICE_PASSWORD=123456
ADMIN_PASSWORD=123456

IMAGE_URLS="http://berrange.fedorapeople.org/images/2012-02-29/f16-x86_64-openstack-sda.qcow2,http://launchpad.net/cirros/trunk/0.3.0/+download/cirros-0.3.0-x86_64-uec.tar.gz"

NB, this results in everything being checked out under $HOME/cloud/XXXXX
and not /opt, because I don't like polluting /opt, and puts all devstack
logs in $HOME/cloud/data/logs

Regards,
Daniel