fedora cloud images (non ec2 providers)

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Wed Feb 27 12:56:05 UTC 2013

On 02/27/2013 04:36 PM, Giulio Fidente wrote:
> On 02/26/2013 08:40 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 06:05:45PM +0100, Giulio Fidente wrote:
>>> I was wondering if there is any work ongoing to announce those more
>>> officially or if any help is wanted to rebuild/maintain some more images
>>
>> Hi Giulio. I'm glad you found those images helpful. There *is* a plan to
>> make more-official images for Fedora 19, and you can see that at
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FirstClassCloudImages. A lot of this
>> is internal infrastructure work, but I'm sure we can find some way to fit in
>> your skills.
>
> I like the plan a lot, it looks like the major issue now is the
> integration of imgfac/oz with koji
>
> I happen to have worked with imgfac and know decently its REST interface
> but, for the scope of this project, can't we just stick to Oz?
>
> I don't think imgfac would add much to the process while it will instead
> prevent us from passing customized kickstarts to Oz

Given the current choices, IMO, Oz seems reasonable. It's been tested for more than a
couple of years, being used by Rackspace, & other communities.

On a relevant note, there's further work being done in this area by Dan Berrange to
consolidate using libosinfo [1] -- https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NovaImageBuilding

(Don't forget to notice this clarification at the top, before reading it further.)

[1] http://libosinfo.org/

--
/kashyap