fedora cloud images (non ec2 providers)

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Wed Feb 27 12:59:39 UTC 2013

On 02/27/2013 06:26 PM, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> On 02/27/2013 04:36 PM, Giulio Fidente wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Giulio. I'm glad you found those images helpful. There *is* a plan to
>>> make more-official images for Fedora 19, and you can see that at
>>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FirstClassCloudImages. A lot of this
>>> is internal infrastructure work, but I'm sure we can find some way to fit in
>>> your skills.
>>
>> I like the plan a lot, it looks like the major issue now is the
>> integration of imgfac/oz with koji
>>
>> I happen to have worked with imgfac and know decently its REST interface
>> but, for the scope of this project, can't we just stick to Oz?
>>
>> I don't think imgfac would add much to the process while it will instead
>> prevent us from passing customized kickstarts to Oz
>
> Given the current choices, IMO, Oz seems reasonable. It's been tested for more than a
> couple of years, being used by Rackspace, & other communities.
>
> On a relevant note, there's further work being done in this area by Dan Berrange to
> consolidate using libosinfo [1] -- https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NovaImageBuilding
>
> (Don't forget to notice this clarification at the top, before reading it further.)

s/this clarification/the clarification

"This page considers what work is required in order to enable OpenStack to be used as a
service by user tools wishing to build cloud images for arbitrary operating system. It is
not about defining or providing an official OpenStack blessed image building service,
although it is expected that work done for the former will facilitate the design &
creation of the latter. "

--
/kashyap