fedora cloud images (non ec2 providers)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 27 15:51:41 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 12:06:19PM +0100, Giulio Fidente wrote:
> I like the plan a lot, it looks like the major issue now is the
> integration of imgfac/oz with koji
> I happen to have worked with imgfac and know decently its REST interface
> but, for the scope of this project, can't we just stick to Oz?
> I don't think imgfac would add much to the process while it will instead
> prevent us from passing customized kickstarts to Oz

Jay Greguske and Ian McLeod are working address exactly this issue, so thta
ImageFactory can take customized kickstarts.

> this said, I think I could help with koji... who should I ping?

If you know Python, I think that probably upstream ImageFactory/Oz is where
you can have the most impact. Ian is working on that.

> > You may also be interested in
> > http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/cloud-kickstarts.git/tree/generic, which is
> > the source repository for the kickstart files from which the image is
> > generated. Any improvements/suggestions/patches are welcome.
> would it be worth trying some ARM build?

It might, especially as ARM is likely to become a primary arch for Fedora
shortly. Do you have arm hardware to test on? (And, particularly,
cloud-focused ARM hardware?)

Another area where we could use some work is in cloud-init. Some of this is
documentation work: what works differently on Fedora as compared to Ubuntu,
for example. (And, maybe some development on making that more smooth.) I'd
also like to see what we can do to reduce the dependency load without
removing functionality. For example, I'd like to see python-imaging,
python-pygments, freetype, and similar not pulled in.