cloud Digest, Vol 38, Issue 21

Steve Loranz sloranz at redhat.com
Wed Feb 27 16:29:45 UTC 2013

Imagefactory is more than a REST interface to oz. Oz creates a JEOS image. The customization that oz performs is limited to installing additional packages or running commands within a VM started with the JEOS image. Oz does not have knowledge of what needs to be added or how an image needs to be translated for a specific virtualization platform or cloud target. This is what imgfac brings to the party.

I really wish we could get past the notion that imagefactory is just a REST interface to oz. What are we doing wrong on imgfac.org that leads people to see imagefactory this way? Maybe I should be happy about this, because it means we're doing a good job of hiding what is needed to go from base image to provider image for cloud targets like EC2 and vSphere.

-steve