Grow the root partition on boot

Juerg Haefliger juergh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 15:16:34 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Juerg Haefliger <juergh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Matthew Miller
>> <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ah -- no, I think we may just be missing that. On the road now -- will look
>>> later when I have better internet.
>>
>> FYI, I started to build a package. Hope it will be useful :-)
>
> We have a package that does this that we built for ARM images to do
> exactly the same thing on varying sized SD cards etc. It's called
> rootfs-resize and patches are welcome if it doesn't quite meet your
> needs.

If I understand correctly, your package provides a systemd script that
resizes the root partition, reboots and then resizes the filesystem.
I'm looking for something that runs out of the initramfs to (only)
resize the partition before it's mounted so that cloud-init, which
runs later on, can grow the root filesystem. It also needs to support
both GPT and legacy partitions. It seems to me that the easier
approach would be to patch and package the missing Ubuntu packages
since they're already (almost) doing what is required and they're
designed to work in conjunction with cloud-init rather than
shoe'horning additional functionality into rootfs-resize.

...Juerg