Semi-Official Fedora 18 downloadable cloud images

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 16 15:05:26 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 03:32:04PM +0100, Juerg Haefliger wrote:
> Hi Matt,

Hi! Thanks for your comments and interest -- it's very helpful.

> 1) The default username ec2-user is too Amazon centric. I don't know
> what the greater implications are of changing the default user but I'd
> rather see something generic like 'fedora'.

Yeah, I think there's general agreement about that, but we couldn't come to
agreement about what it should be, so we stuck with that for this release.

> 2) The console log is empty. It would be rather helpful to add
> 'console=ttyS0' for debugging potential boot issues.

Good suggestion.

> 3) There's no growroot initramfs script so the root partition doesn't
> get automatically enlarged to consume the whole disk. I'm working on
> creating the missing packages cloud-utils and cloud-initramfs-tools. I
> have them ready for EPEL 6 but not yet Fedora because it uses GPT.

Cool. Let's put that in the plan for F19.

> 4) dnsdomainname returns 'localhost' when it should return 'novalocal'
> in our environment. Quite frankly I don't know how the domainname is
> retrieved and need to look into it.

Let me know what you find and if there are any fixes needed.

> 5) The timezone is set to EST which doesn't necessarily match the
> location of the VM. I think UTC would make more sense.

I think you're right; anyone object?

> 6) Is there a file with the image version or builddate somewhere in
> the image? I couldn't find one but think it's a useful thing to have.

There is not. I suppose we could write it to /etc/issue or to /etc/motd.

> Do you think these could be addressed with a single generic image that
> works both in EC2 and OpenStack, just like Canonical's Ubuntu images?

We'd like to as much as possible, yeah.

> Let me know what you think and how I can help.

The above is a great start. Are you coming to FUDcon?

> Also, would you (or the greater Fedora project in general) be
> interested in a free account in the HP cloud? I think I should be able
> to make that happen. Note that at the moment user's can't upload their
> own images, they all have to be uploaded by HP (read me) until we make

Yes, that would be very helpful. Thanks!