Quantum server (what needs to run where?)

Nux! nux at li.nux.ro
Mon Jan 21 14:35:29 UTC 2013

On 21.01.2013 13:41, Gary Kotton wrote:
> On 01/21/2013 03:27 PM, Nux! wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to clarify, on a controller/db only server, what quantum
>> services do I need to run? Or do all services need to run on al
>> hypervisors and only use the DB of the controller?
>>

> Please take a look at
> http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-network/admin/content/connectivity.html:
> On the controller you only need to run the Quantum server. If the
> plugin has an agent then the agent will need to be run on the compute
> or network nodes.
>
> Thanks
> Gary

Thanks Gary, that image is quite clear regarding the services, but it
also raises another question, I see one can run the quantum agents  on a
dedicated machine. What would be the benefit of that versus running
quantum-agents on all hypervisors? (assuming everybody wants to do
SDN/OVS/gre). It's a bit confusing.

Nux!
www.nux.ro