f19 feature in progress; First-Class Cloud Images

Vitaly Kuznetsov vkuznets at redhat.com
Mon Jan 28 11:16:33 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 05:05 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> We worked on this at FUDCon.
>
> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FirstClassCloudImages>

>    This feature expands Fedora's current cloud image deliverables beyond just
>    EC2, and overhauls how they are produced. The goal is to produce cloud
>    images for EC2 and other cloud deployments for the Alpha, Beta, and Final
>    compose process and distribute them on the mirror network. There will also
>    be nightly or weekly image builds for Rawhide to assist with early
>    development. All images should be constructed using a newer generation of
>    tools.
>
> Comments and input *very* welcome.

When images are generated very often it's usually nice to have them
somehow validated :-) For RHEL EC2 images we have special testing tool:
https://github.com/RedHatQE/valid/tree/threaded
It lacks good docs but it's fixable.

We can create special 'validation' server for Fedora EC2 (at least)
images. The workflow will be the following:
1) Images are generated
2) Images are getting uploaded to EC2
3) Validation job is being supplied (for all regions/archs/...).
4) Depending on the result images are considered 'released' (their ids
are published somewhere, ...) or 'failed' (investigation is required).

In validation we can have as many tests as we want: features,
regressions, package set, ...

Does it make sense?

--
Vitaly Kuznetsov, Cloud QE, RedHat