Best way to assemble vm images

Krishna Raman kraman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 16:29:56 UTC 2013

I am building these images in an automated (nightly) fashion on ec2 and would prefer a method which doesn't require me to spun up a VM on a ec2 machine.
Oz works great when I have the ability to running a VM and if it is the only option at the moment then I will use it but still looking for alternatives.

Thanks
--Krishna