Fedora Cloud Guide

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Wed Jul 24 15:17:21 UTC 2013

On 07/23/2013 12:22 PM, Juerg Haefliger wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Matthew Miller
> <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:08:00AM -0600, Pete Travis wrote:
>>> I'm exited about digging in to this one.  We'll try to make questions to
>>
>> Awesome. This is a huge missing piece and it's actually been kind of
>> weighing on me as something that needs work.
>>
>>> this list as informed as possible, and give anyone here that is
>>> interested the chance to review the guide at semi-regular intervals.
>>>
>>> I'll get in touch with Robyn for EC2, and I guess
>>> infra at lists.fedoraproject.org for openstack?
>>
>> Yes although probably either #fedora-admin on freenode, or filing a work
>> ticket at https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ is going to be
>> more effective.

I'll file a ticket soon.

>>> Are there other platforms we should consider targeting after that?
>>> Joyent and rackspace come to mind, and others who might be willing to
>>> donate a few cycles in exchange for some exposure - if we wanted to go
>>> in that direction.
>>
>> Rackspace, yes. The HP Public Cloud people are active here and very
friendly
>> too. (See recent Fedora 19 announcement.) Both of those are OpenStack
>> underneath, although Rackspace is built on top of Xen so things are a
little
>> different. Joyent is a whole 'nuther animal... they do currently support
>> Fedora, and I'll reach out to them to see what more they might be
interested
>> in.

Thanks. I think documenting use on a wide variety of platforms will
really help with adoption, and it is encouraging to know you have
contacts to talk to.

> Let me know what resources you need in the HP Cloud (OpenStack on top
> of KVM) and I'll try to make it happen. Matt has a gratis account but
> if you need a more formal Fedora account just shout. As long as you're
> not planing to upload terabytes of data blobs or try to crunch the
> latest CERN dataset we should be Ok.
>
> ...Juerg

I would project that myself and perhaps two or three other writers would
 use whatever platforms we gain access to.  Nothing intensive; just spin
 up an instance, make sure the commands function as expected, experiment
 a little, and destroy the instance; maybe an hour or two at a time. I'll
 defer you on the best way to handle accounts.

>>>                          I'm not sure what support we have in terms of
>>> tooling, images, and the like. This might be covered by the what is
>>> already outlined in the guide; please be patient, as I'll probably have
>>> some stupid questions until I get settled in :)
>>
>> I'm a firm believer in there-are-no-stupid-questions. :)

Good! I'll have more, then :P Now that I've got the door open, hopefully
more writers will be participating and reaching out as well.

>>> Your draft looks interesting, especially for the guide introduction.
>>> I'll watch the page, and perhaps shamelessly borrow copy.
>>
>> Please do. It's _very_ skeletal, obviously.
>>
>> --
>> Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>

- --
- -- Pete Travis
 - Fedora Docs Project Leader