how to enable direct root login without changing the image

Juerg Haefliger juergh at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 07:14:25 UTC 2013

>> We also should strongly document (release notes and on get fedora page) that
>> userdata can be used to change the default, and I've long had a
>
> And, FTR, that is:
>
> Put this in the user-data script in EC2 or Openstack
>
> #cloud-config
> disable_root: 0
>
> The first line is identifying the userdata type, not a comment.
>
> The above will put the ssh key in both the root account and in the default
> user account (whatever it is named).

I think the key injection into the root account is done by the cloud
env and not cloud-init. At least that's what OpenStack is doing, not
sure about EC2. There is an ongoing discussion and key injection will
most likely get ripped out of OpenStack at some point because it
breaks easily and the cloud env has no business mucking with the guest
image. If that's the case, we probably shouldn't advertise this
'feature'.

...Juerg