double logging -- should we turn one of these off?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jun 15 03:34:13 UTC 2013

Sooooo. As of systemd 198-1, (March 7th), systemd enables persistent logging
of the journal by default -- that means, it's writing it to disk.

I'm not really excited about logging every event twice in the cloud image.
The journal will do handwavy magic to automatically keep from running out of
space, but until it hits its threshold, it _will_ be using up more disk.

I posted a message to the main devel list last year sometime about what
realistic requirements Fedora might have for making the systemd journal the
default logging option for the whole distro. (See
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-October/172682.html)

Of the things I listed as critical, some very key ones like time-based
rotation and "journal format documented" are done. Others are still lacking,
like a mechanism for separation of authpriv data, easy Fedora-centric
disaster recovery documentation, and, simply, a lot of QA and testing.

So, the question is: do we want to be part of the testing ground for this?
There are some advantages, including of course less stuff in the image,
and anyone wanting more complicated configuration can easily install
rsyslog, and, given limited space, automatic free space management.

Or, do we want to disable the persistent store, and rely on rsyslog?

Or, do we want to just leave it?