double logging -- should we turn one of these off?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 20 14:20:21 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 07:08:07PM -0700, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
> > Or, do we want to disable the persistent store, and rely on rsyslog?
> > Or, do we want to just leave it?
> I think it should default to the same thing every other spin defaults to
> until FESCo decide to reverse their earlier decision on this issue.

As I understand it, the FESCO descision was that rsyslog will stay in the
default right now, and then the systemd maintainers decided to start logging
to disk _as well_, with the rationale that they can make that as a "local"
decision to the package, and then basically everyone just shrugged. Was
there more that I missed?

The key thing is that the extra disk isn't a big deal locally but I feel
icky doing double-logging-to-disk in cloud images. So I don't feel like *we*
can just shrug.

In fact, I'm also kind of thinking we should be more strict with
RuntimeMaxUse to keep memory footprint down too.