TC6 cloud images available in EC2 and for download

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 21 13:12:37 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 08:55:50AM +0200, Juerg Haefliger wrote:
> Works for me in OpenStack. Good job Matt! Just one question, can you
> explain the rational behind the console crazyness?
>
> serial=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=hvc0 console=tty1
>
> For OpenStack, I'd like to see something like the following so that I
> get console messages on the serial port which can be retrieved via a
> Nova call. Helps with identifying boot issues in the absence of a
> 'real' virtual console.
>
> console=tty1 console=ttyS0

Does the crazy line above _not_ work for you in OpenStack? It does for me.

I posted about this a few days ago, but to recap, the simple line causes
cloud-init (which wants to write directly to the console) to freak out in
EC2, where ttyS0 isn't a device. Putting the hvc0 console line first causes
it to _not_ freak out, and in my quick testing console output still worked
in OpenStack too.

The alternative is to write different things to menu.lst for pvgrub and
extlinux.conf for KVM (or other HVM) use. But that seemed a little too
"magical".