Should Fedora revisit the idea having "one " image to be used across the cloud providers?

Collins, Robert (HPCS) rbtcollins at hp.com
Thu Jun 27 07:31:12 UTC 2013

Hey (and sorry about the top posting, Outlook - eesh.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/diskimage-builder/+bug/1182722 - Yes, we looked at Oz, and its a great tool for running installers, but that isn't what diskimage-builder does: we customise images. So a typical debootstrap might take 10 to 15 minutes : we build an equally vanilla image in 1-2 minutes. Oz has all the complexity of dealing with Windows and other esoteric operating systems, we do Linux and only things that can run in a chroot : so a much simpler and lighter weight tooling. Easy to debug (just drop into a shell), easy to customise (write some shell in a well known environment).

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-April/007185.html for instance is one thread about this on openstack-dev.

Cheers,
Rob

Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>