Fedora 20 cloud plans?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 28 12:18:09 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 06:53:02AM -0400, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> > - We're blocked from having "real" vagrant base boxes by a lack of Chef,
> >   which is blocked by bz #823351; hope to have that resolved and Chef as
> >   an F20 feature
> I talked to Sam Kottler about this a bit over the weekend when I saw him
> and I didn't exactly get the warm fuzzies about upstream movement here;
> maybe he can elaborate? :\ (But chef & real vagrant boxes would be
> awesome)

He seemed more optimistic when I talked to him -- plan was to remove the
need for YAJL, the blocking Ruby bit in the bug mentioned above, from Chef.
Maybe that didn't go as smoothly as hoped?

> > - Also, Vagrant is very Virtualbox-centric, and we don't have that in Fedora
> >   (out of tree kernel modules); work on a KVM provider for Vagrant should
> >   make that a non-issue -- https://github.com/adrahon/vagrant-kvm
> To be clear: This is so that we can use vagrant boxes (of any OS flavor?)
> on a Fedora desktop, yes? Not an issue with "have a Fedora vagrant box to
> open on other Linux distros or mac" ?

Right, these are not interdependent issues, but it's nice to be able to use
the thing we're making on on Fedora itself.

Note that the vagrant box _has_ to drift from the generic image, because the
recommended configuration is to have an account name, account password, and
root password of "vagrant".