Fedora 20 cloud plans?

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at oddbit.com
Fri Jun 28 18:09:52 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-28, Robyn Bergeron <rbergero at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I would love to see a systemd-only base configuration for cloud images.
>> If I want remote logging I'll install rsyslog as part of the initial
>> deployment.
>
> It was mentioned elsewhere that Matt/Garrett had a thought to have
> systemd journal logs output to syslog and console; do you mean
> something like that, or do you just mean straight-up, no rsyslog?

I was referring to straight-up, no rsyslog.  I've found that with the
adoption of systemd/journald that I use journalctl much more often than
"grep on logfiles", since journalctl has (a) access to the structured
data collected by journald and (b) provides a rich set of query
operations for filtering messages.

For the use case of "I just a need a simple cloud image" I'm not
sure that rsyslog provides much value add.  For the use case of "I'm
deploying hundreds of nodes in the cloud and I need an integrated
logging solution", I'm not going to be using the stock rsyslog
configuration in any case, so I don't lose much by having to explicitly
install it in addition to configuring it.  And even in this case I may
only want it for remote logging.

> But like I said, I am rather uneducated in this area so I could be
> worrying for nothing.

I think you've raised a number of good points, and I'm not really
pushing hard for ditching rsyslog.  In my world it's not necessary, but
I don't actually know how much my use cases intersect with the rest of
the community.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at oddbit.com>