Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 18:46:37 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 10:24:20AM -0400, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Attached is the draft PRD for the Workstation working group. The
> proposal tries to be relatively high level and focus on goals and
> principles, but I have included some concrete examples at times to try
> to provide some clarity on how the goals and principles could play out
> in practice.
>
> I hope the community at large will take the time to read through it and
> provide feedback so that when the working group meet next we can use
> that feedback to start tuning in on the final form of the PRD.

Here's a statement we may need to better clarify on p. 3:

"The working group will also specify policies in terms of branding,
themeing and desktop graphics."

I think we should be clear that any branding efforts need to fit into
the overall branding framework of Fedora.  We should be careful to
avoid having branding diverge between the products to an extent that
makes it harder for us to identify them as part of a family of Fedora
products.

In my time as an FPL, I worked extensively with Fedora folks on
trademark and brand guidelines.  I suspect Robyn has done quite the
same wherever possible.  It would be a step backward to make it harder
for people to readily identify any of the Fedora products with
Fedora.

This is really a suggestion for all the working groups, so I'm cc'ing
server@ and cloud@ lists too.