Fedora.next Product Branding for Cloud

Joe Brockmeier jzb at redhat.com
Wed Nov 20 16:03:41 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 09:10:15PM -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> With the creation of 3 products for Fedora, the Fedora Design Team
> anticipates many new questions around Fedora's brand. As the main
> caretakers of the Fedora brand, we're going to have to figure these
> things out within the next few months. For example, the Design Team is
> starting to think about how to answer these types of questions:
>
> • Should each product have its own logo? or

Yes.

> • Can you add our product to the Fedora website? or
> • Can you make our product its own website? (How should we represent
> these products on the website? Should we allow products to have their
> own separate websites?)

That's a good question. Maintaining a separate Web site is a fair amount
of work, but *might* be worth it. I lean towards trying to keep the
projects/products all on the same site, though.

> To start off the rebranding discussion, the Fedora Design Team has 4
> basic questions for each of the 3 product-focused working groups to answer:

Taking a crack at these, so we have something to start with:

> (1) What problem does your product solve, in one sentence?

Fedora Cloud provides a customizable base image and tools for developing
scale out applications on public and private clouds.

> (2) Who is the target audience for your product, in one sentence?

Developers creating scale out applications on top of public and private
clouds.

> (3) List at least 5 products that successfully target the same target
> audience you are after.

* On public cloud (AWS) various AMIs (Amazon, CentOS, Ubuntu) that are
  popular.

* BitNami images on public + private clouds.

* PaaS offerings (Heroku, Engine Yard, OpenShift)

* Docker

* Windows Azure (Not sure how successfully...)

> (4) List at least 5 products that try to solve the same problem.

* Docker

* Various AMIs

* SUSE Studio

* Ubuntu

* CentOS

> We are reaching out to each group individually to ask that you discuss
> these questions and come back to us with answers by Wednesday, December
> 4, 2013.
>
> I was hoping you could answer these questions for the cloud product;
> please let me know if this isn't a reasonable timeline or if you need
> any help coming up with the answers!

I think we can respond by December 4th, if not sooner.

Thoughts, comments, flames?

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier | Principal Cloud & Storage Analyst