Feedback: Cloud image F20 TC2

Juerg Haefliger juergh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 17:12:57 UTC 2013

All,

I finally found the time to do some testing with the F20 image in HP
Cloud Beta which runs some sort of OpenStack Havana. Here are my
comments (which are obviously very OpenStack centric):

Overall it looks very sound. Good job, Matt!

As mentioned by others, logging could be improved. Currently, only
kernel messages are written to the (serial) console log. If something
goes wrong higher up in the stack (like cloud-init is unable to
contact the metadata service or a crucial initrd process fails) we
can't tell, unless there's access to the virtual console of the
instance which not every cloud operator provides. If we reverse the
'console' options of the kernel command line, we get those messages on
the serial console which helps with debugging boot issues. Also, I'm
not sure how useful the 115200n8 ttyS0 option is, it's a virtual port
after all. Lastly, Ubuntu uses console=tty1 instead of tty0 for
reasons explained in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cloud-init/+bug/1016695. I
admit I do not fully understand the impact of using tty1 (first
console) vs tty0 (foreground console) and neither do I think we need
to blindly copy Ubuntu but they are the cloud-init guys after all and
they do provide very solid OpenStack cloud images so it seems like
they know what they're doing :-) Given that, my proposal is to use the
following console kernel command line options: 'console=tty1
console=ttyS0'

I was quite surprised to learn that the image can be enlarged to 2TB.
Other images fail because the ext4 journal is too small. I haven't
looked into it in detail but do you use special parameters when
formatting the root partition?

...Juerg