please help test beta test candidate cloud images

Joe Brockmeier jzb at redhat.com
Thu Oct 17 16:09:39 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 09:10:47AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> and the more people we have looking the better.

Spun this up on AWS, with an m1.small instance.

I've done a bit of basic testing, and everything seems to work well.
Spun up the image, SSH'ed in, installed some packages, verified that
Apache works, etc. I'm a bit swamped for time, so I haven't done
extensive testing but I can at least verify that it boots, can serve
pages, etc. without upchucking all over itself. If I have time, I'll try
to do more extensive testing later.

Two things:

1) You get a complaint that delta RPM isn't enabled when installing
packages. Not a major problem, but talking to Matthew we wondered
whether we should include delta RPM by default or suppress the warning.

2) Firewall on by default is not a good thing. It took me a minute to
realize *why* I couldn't hit the default Apache page after I'd fixed the
Security Group settings for AWS. Users shouldn't have to muck with two
firewalls - and if you're using AWS or an IaaS like CloudStack, the
assumption is that the firewall will be handled by the IaaS, not the
individual instance. I will follow up on previous threads about this.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier | Open Source and Standards, Red Hat