please help test beta test candidate cloud images

Garrett Holmstrom gholms at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 17 18:53:25 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-17 9:15, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 11:09:39AM -0500, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
>> 1) You get a complaint that delta RPM isn't enabled when installing
>> packages. Not a major problem, but talking to Matthew we wondered
>> whether we should include delta RPM by default or suppress the warning.
>
> In the past, I've found deltarpm to actually be slower when bandwidth is
> plentiful. The package itself is small, so I'll do some tests here.

When I did some testing around this on F17 I found that deltarpm not
only increased update time by a non-trivial amount, but also generated
extra I/O.  It would be interesting to see how it behaves nowadays.

>> 2) Firewall on by default is not a good thing. It took me a minute to
>> realize *why* I couldn't hit the default Apache page after I'd fixed the
>
> Yes, as mentioned, this is a frequent complaint. In the past the majority
> opinion was that a basic packet filter was the best choice, but given the
> constant feedback I get to the contrary, I'm.... inclined to revisit.
>
> Especially as we make the cloud image a) more visibile and b) more
> differentiated, I think this makes a lot of sense.

Indeed.  This sounds like a differentiator for the "server" and "cloud"
products you proposed.  8^)

--
Garrett Holmstrom