Attention Cloud WG nominees

Sandro "red" Mathys red at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 22 09:55:48 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Joe Brockmeier <jzb at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 08:56:50AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> Also I was kind of hoping that we'd never have to worry about running on
>> bare metal, but maybe that's fantasy. :)

Do we have to care about bare metal? As long as we use the same kernel
as the Server Product does, we should have all the necessary drivers
and that should be enough care. Except for the missing abstraction
layer between hardware and instance, the behavior should be just the
same and therefore not matter to us. And the HW stuff should really be
covered by Server and Desktop Products already.

> FWIW, I know that some folks have been using CloudStack/CloudPlatform to
> manage images running on bare metal for $reasons to do with performance,
> etc. I'm not sure what percentage of users want to manage cloudy
> workloads on bare metal, but that use case does exist.

Well, one use case is really performance. Particularly in research,
many are looking to move from HPC Clusters to (HPC) Clouds. Currently,
HPC Clusters are still notably more performant but that's going to
change rather earlier than later and a lot of research institutions
are very eager to adopt clouds once that's changed.

Another (upcoming but already being used by the big players)
OpenStack-specific use case is TripleO which stands for "OpenStack on
OpenStack". So there's really one OpenStack deploying another
OpenStack on Bare Metal. The aim is to ease operation of the overlying
(productive) infrastructure. See also
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/TripleO

Not sure if I'd classify the underlying OpenStack's bare metal
instances as Pet or Cattle, TBH. But either way I don't think our
cloud image needs to cover this use case as you really want to use
tailored images (with the desired services already prepared, etc). So
really just listing the use case FYI.