Cloud image partition size

Sandro "red" Mathys red at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 23 12:04:29 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 12:38:40PM +0200, Sandro red Mathys wrote:
>> Now trying to launch the image as such (the m1.tiny flavor happens to
>> come with a 1 GB root disk by default in OpenStack Havana), it will
>> always fail.
>>
>> Therefore, I propose to change the partition size to 1024MB instead of
>> 2048MB. Or even to just 600MB but clouds specify the root disk size in
>> GBs rather than MBs anyway, and 600MB might limit further development
>> stronger than really necessary.
>
> I *think* it will install into a partition size that big -- I'll try. The
> problem is that just doing a 'yum update' tends to fill the remaining space
> very quickly, making a 1GB image questionable in pratical use right now.

[root at f20 ~]# df -h | grep vda
/dev/vda1       9.9G  574M  9.3G   6% /
[root at f20 ~]# yum update -y &> /dev/null
[root at f20 ~]# df -h | grep vda
/dev/vda1       9.9G  922M  8.9G  10% /
[root at f20 ~]# yum clean all &> /dev/null
[root at f20 ~]# df -h | grep vda
/dev/vda1       9.9G  767M  9.1G   8% /

Okay, I guess that's valid concerns. The 1GB limit is within reach
during an update. Still, for quick testing purposes, etc. 1GB
instances are often spun up and for cases where that's not enough
people can still start the instance with a bigger root disk and have
it auto-resized.

Also, an install size of nearly 600MB feels kinda huge. I mean the
LiveCDs are (or used to be) <=700MB and had full desktop environments
running.

-- Sandro