food for thought - article on OS for web-scale/cloud/unicorns

Robyn Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
Fri Oct 25 12:41:15 UTC 2013

Okay, maybe not unicorns. :)

http://blog.hendrikvolkmer.de/2013/10/11/the-missing-piece-operating-systems-for-web-scale-cloud-apps/

So while some of this is fairly high-level/explanatory (which in itself is still useful, of course) - I thought some of this brought up some decent points around software delivery, deployment, config mgmt, etc.

Just thought it might get some thoughts moving in people's heads around use cases and different goals in usage - I think folks are going to continue to basically go with "best tool for the job" (where the job == their job and its associated requirements, which may not necessarily be technology-related requirements), so I think it might be useful to have some good thought around how to make ... what we wind up making :) ... fairly flexible, or maybe "re-composable" is the word i'm looking for. Images, guests, containers, etc...  how to build them similarly enough to make them consistent enough to test, how to make the building simple enough for build them themselves (and applying config mgmt of sorts either as part of the build, or afterwards) ...

I don't want us to necessarily think about this in terms of "for developers" vs. "for sysadmins"  - there are lots of different workflows, or drivers to do things one way vs. another (caring about scalability vs. performance vs. $somethingelse).

Thoughts, anyone? Like I said, just looking to get us to think about things from different POV... (I realize I'm sort of babbling, it's still really early here.)

-robyn