[Fedora-legal-list] Hosting Fedora cloud images

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Mon Oct 28 13:17:28 UTC 2013

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 09:48:52 +0000
"Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:

> [NB: CC'd to the Fedora cloud SIG mailing list]

> > > That's part 2 of this exercise.  Would like to talk to you
> > > about that separately at some point.
> >
> > Okay. Any time. :)
>
> So there are a few immediate problems (some of them in virt-builder
> itself).
>
> (1) Virt-builder really needs to be able to source images from
> multiple places.  At the moment there is only one source location
> allowed, unless the user clumsily uses the --source option to point at
> another one.
>
> (2) Virt-builder currently assumes the image format is xz-compressed.
> Actually I notice the raw.xz images are in the correct format already,
> so we're good here.
:) glad that its right

> (3) Virt-builder requires all images to be GPG-signed.  It worries me
> that these images are neither signed nor downloaded over https.

most if not all mirrors don't run https on the mirrors,
http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/test/20-Alpha/Images/x86_64/Fedora-Images-x86_64-20-Alpha-CHECKSUM
we do gpg sign the CHECKSUMS for actual releases. What other signing
are you thinking of?

> (4) Virt-builder requires a (signed) index file describing each cloud
> image.  I believe it would be a good thing for the cloud images to
> include an index file, so that tools can automatically find out what's
> there.  The format of the index file is described here:
>
> http://libguestfs.org/virt-builder.1.html#creating-and-signing-the-index-file
>
> However having the index file will be less useful until (1) is fixed.

We would need a way to make the index file that's integrated into the
release process.

> (5) Digital signatures: Currently virt-builder requires all indexes
> and images to be signed by yours truly unless you go through an
> involved process described here:
>
> http://libguestfs.org/virt-builder.1.html#setting-up-a-gpg-key
>
> We need to fix this, but key management is a non-trivial problem,
> since we cannot host the public key in the same place as the index &
> images (an attacker could replace both the images & key at the same
> time).  What's the strategy going to be for signing these cloud
> images?
anything we would sign in fedora would be signed with the release key
that is changed every release.

none of these problems are things that can't be fixed.

Dennis