Cloud product kernel requirements

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Oct 30 14:48:49 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:40:44AM -0400, Robyn Bergeron wrote:

> [...]

Well SPICE is providing the link between the guest OS and the client
machine for display interaction purposes. It has the ability to tunnel
access to limited devices, in particular smartcards and USB devices
attached to the client machine.

PCI passthrough though is a different scenario - it is enabling the
guest to use hardware resources present on the physical host. The client
viewer machine isn't involved in this at all. Assigning dedicated virtual
functions to each guest, from a SRIOV NIC on the host is most common
use case for PCI assignment.  VGA passthrough is a less common and more
limited use case, since there aren't any multi-function VGA devices you
can only help 1 single guest per physical host device.

> Anyway - in my googling I saw this mail -
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2012-November/011353.html
> - i don't know if that is going to help anyone, or not. It's almost making
> me wonder if that's an interesting overlap with the desktop team?

That person has assigned a VGA device from their host to the guest, which
basically takes SPICE out of the equation (from the virt POV), since SPICE
only operates in combination with an emulated VGA device. They have,
however, then run a SPICE server inside the guest for remote access, but
that's outside scope of virt now - just akin to running SPICE on a nonvirt
physical machine.

Regards,
Daniel.