ZOMG WHAT ARE WE BUILDING?!

Joe Brockmeier jzb at redhat.com
Wed Oct 30 20:30:29 UTC 2013

Hi all,

(For those who weren't in today's IRC meeting, I sorta apologize for the
subject line. Sorta.)

As we were discussing today - we need to decide what we are building,
and (almost as importantly) what we're not building. We've agreed that
we want to be cooperating with the server SIG, but don't necessarily
plan to build a foundation for an IaaS ourselves.

Some of the questions that were raised during the meeting:

- Should we drop 32-bit?
- Should we be targeting ARM?
- Do we worry about supporting ALL THE METHODS of building the image, or
  no? (I recommend we focus on One True Way so as not to confuse
  everyone with 80 different ways they *could* do it.)

Other questions, thoughts, comments, flames?

I also want to recommend that we think hard about not just what we
build, but accompanying it with appropriate amounts of documentation for
the developers/users we expect to be consuming the image. I'm sure it
goes without saying that we would document what we do, but I would like
to see this thought about each step of the way so that when we get to a
finished product, it's dead easy to adopt.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier | Principal Cloud & Storage Analyst