ZOMG WHAT ARE WE BUILDING?!

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Thu Oct 31 15:59:00 UTC 2013

El Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:34:39 +0100
"Sandro \"red\" Mathys" <red at fedoraproject.org> escribió:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Sam Kottler <skottler at redhat.com>
> wrote:

I know ubuntu is working on supporting ARM in openstack, I really think
we should as well. We should go big or go home. all of this change is
about making Fedora bigger and better. This is a avenue we should
pursue. while ppc is a secondary arch we need to also consider it.
there is a lot of work inside of IBM on KVM and openstack.

> >> So Fedora should have a way of building images - and that way
> >> should also be easily consumable by others. (e.g. Koji is probably
> >> not the best answer). Image Factory, Boxgrinder, Vagrant. Bonus
> >> points if we don't reinvent a tool and adopt something that the
> >> rest of the world is already consuming and familiar with.
>
> +1 on supporting a single (or if good use cases are given) a very few
> methods. +1 on using an readily available, easy-to-use, flexible tool
> that everyone can spin up on their laptop if they want to do their own
> images. Bonus points if the tool is already widely adopted (which I
> don't think any is).
> +1 on using a tool/method that is not specific to Fedora (i.e. let
> e.g. Ubuntu users build Fedora images the same way).
>
> IMHO it's also important that the method does not require the user to
> disable SELinux (as about half of them do).
>
> More bonus points if the method allows for cross-building ARM images
> on x86(_64) systems. Not sure that's actually a good idea, though - I
> hear there's reasons Koji doesn't do this for package building.

We need one way, it needs to work both inside koji and outside. there
is work to migrate to oz/imagefactory using qemu building images on x86
should be possible.

> Not sure if that should be added to this discussion or not: we really
> need to find a way to release updated images more often. Spinning up
> dozens or hundreds of instances just to pull in hundreds of MBs of
> updates right away with each and every single one sucks.

This is part of why I want someone from the cloud space to join releng
and work on the tooling.

Dennis