Future directions for Fedora Cloud

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Tue Sep 17 12:52:33 UTC 2013

On 09/16/2013 04:57 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-09-11 at 12:01 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
>
>> So, idea one is to make something like CoreOS (http://coreos.com/): a
>> lightweight distribution made for running containers on top of. We
>> wouldn't attempt to be _as_ lightweight as CoreOS (for that, there's
>> CoreOS), but aim to be small while still providing key features like
>> SELinux.
>
> How SELinux would work in a coreos/container deployment setup is an
> interesting question.  One could imagine docker containers coming with
> policy modules, but that ends up tying them to a specific host version,
> which is kind of against the point of containers.
>
> More realistically I think one would have a relatively permissive domain
> (generic_container_t), and use something like MCS labels to restrict the
> flow of information between containers and the host.

Currently that is what we do with virt-sandbox containers.  svirt_lxc_net_t
and svirt_qemu_net_t is very loose, Full Network, Full Capabilities,
Read/Execute everything in /usr and most of /etc, no access to content in
/root, /home, /var (We bind mount containers content over /root, /home, and
/var)  And separate them from MCS.  They are only allowed to write to
svirt_sandbox_file_t.

I have setup the policy to allow policy writers to create limited network
privs container domains, fairly easily.  Perhaps we should do the same for
capabilities.

One concept I have built for OpenShift is the idea of an Admin of a container
versus the application within the container.  So a user joining a container
might have full access to all file types owned by the container, but the
applicagtion/service within the container would only be allowed to write to
the svirt_sandbox_file_rw_t content and read/exec svirt_sandbox_file_t content.