help needed (soooo much help needed)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Apr 3 21:43:40 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 11:34:23PM +0200, milanisko k wrote:
> I'm looking at https://fedorahosted.org/cloud/ticket/23; What is the
> desired status of the refactoring? Have some changes already been agreed
> upon? Would it be possible to replace cloud-init completely?
> (For instance, https://github.com/cernvm/amiconfig looks quite
> minimalistic...)

Replacing it completely is tall order, but if someone is really enthused,
it's possible. There are a number of other candidates, including Colin
Walters' min-metadata-service and CoreOS's implementation. Any of them would
be a lot of work, though, especially to make sure that the various things
people actually want to do in practice are covered.

Right now, and most urgently, the problem is that it depends on the Cheetah
templating library, which pulls in image and font libraries which have no
business being in the image (and which are likely to significantly increase
the burden of respinning for security updates). Frankie Onuonga was working
on this a little bit. If we can fix that for F21, I'll be happy.

Also, talk to Garrett (gholms), the current maintainer and coordinate with
him.

                                  "Tepid change for the somewhat better!"