Taskotron and Cloud Image tests

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Thu Apr 17 15:11:10 UTC 2014

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 14:25:03 +0200
Vitaly Kuznetsov <vitty at redhat.com> wrote:

> Tim Flink <tflink at redhat.com> writes:
>
> >> For RHEL cloud image checks we have special tool called 'valid':
> >> https://github.com/RedHatQE/valid , it can be reused for Fedora as
> >> well. The questions are: how do you see the integration and how can
> >> someone (me?) work on this (non-existent atm) part of Taskotron.
> >
> > For now, I think that the best place to start would be to figure out
> > what's missing from taskotron in order for the integration to
> > happen.
> >  - would the cloud image startup be done by valid or in taskotron?
> >  - where would the cloud images be run?
> >  - what other image work would be done in the task?
>
> Atm 'valid' gets EC2 AMI id as an input and produces test result (yaml
> file with all tests, their steps and results + logs). I think we can
> easily kick off such testing tasks from taskotron. The only missing
> piece in the picture is an 'image uploader': after image was built in
> koji someone needs to upload it as an AMI to EC2  (afaict Dennis
> does that manually now).

The concern I have with this is around EC2 credentials and accounts. If
I'm understanding you correctly, we would need to have those
credentials stored on the clients and we'd be using EC2 time for
testing Fedora.

Does someone have budget or account time that could be used for this
in an account that we could use? I wonder if trying to use the fedora
openstack setup be a better route (assuming that valid can work with
openstack).

Another possible snag is that I want to start locking down network
access on most if not all of the test clients so that it's less
possible for user-submitted tasks to go awry and do things they
shouldn't. This hasn't been done yet, though and it's something that we
can discuss going forward.

> 2mattdm: Matt, I remember you telling me that someone is working on
> such uploader. Can you please shed some light on what's the status
> now and what can be done in before f21?
>
> >> I can see two possible approaches:
> >> 1) 'Easy'. We create special type of task (sorry if I'm not that
> >> precise with terminology) which is being executed on static slave
> >> node which runs valid (in black-box mode) on newly uploaded image,
> >> grabs the result and returns it back.
> >
> > I suspect that this will be the best way to get started. The
> > ephemeral client work you mention below is going to be a lot of work
> > and there are a bunch of unknowns (use openstack or not, how
> > isolated should the clients be etc.). If we want to have a shot at
> > having some of the automated cloud tests done for f21, I think that
> > starting with the easiest route would likely be best
>
> Ok, I think that having something ready in f21 timeframe is really
> doable in case releng can automate AMIs uploading process. I'll take a
> look at the runner in libtaskotron and existing tasks examples.

Cool, let us know if you have any questions or if anything isn't clear.

Tim