Proposal for every WG to send a short summary *to other WGs directly*

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 26 14:52:12 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Honza Horak <hhorak at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi working groups members,
>
> since we have learned on Flock that new Fedora working groups do not
> communicate with each other much (or enough), I'd like to propose the
> following:
>
> Every working group will time to time (e.g. weekly) send short summary about
> what they did / were talking about directly to mailing lists of other
> working groups + to devel at fp.o. Really only a short summary with links where
> one can find details.
>
> I tried to collect such info from the meeting logs and mailing lists for the
> last few weeks for Env and Stacks WG:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/env-and-stacks/2014-August/000487.html
>
> I found many notes are really worth spreading beyond groups' borders, but it
> takes too much time for one person to collect all the information. Thus,
> proposing to "do a summary once per group and share with other groups".
>
> Another benefit would be that Matt would have better content for his 5tiftw.
>
> I don't think we need to sync about date or frequency, just remembering to
> send a direct mail if anything interesting is done/discussed should work
> fine.
>
> List of proposed MLs to send this summary to:
> server at lists.fedoraproject.org
> desktop at lists.fedoraproject.org
> cloud at lists.fedoraproject.org
> env-and-stacks at lists.fedoraproject.org
> devel at lists.fedoraproject.org
>
> Comments, ideas or better solutions are welcome as usually, but I might be
> offline until Sunday, so do not expect any answers from me in that time :)

I don't have any major objections to this, but I will note that
reports stopped being sent to FESCo because at some point they were
kind of redundant.  "Still working on thing X" every week isn't really
something that needs to be sent.  So I would avoid a weekly deadline
and maybe just post minutes/summaries of the meetings the groups have
when there is actually something to communicate.

josh