Fedora cloud qcow2 images

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Tue Dec 9 21:07:38 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 10:05 AM, Joe Brockmeier <jzb at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 12/09/2014 10:49 AM, Cole Robinson wrote:
> >
> > Right, but none of the common end user tools like boxes or
> > virt-manager/virt-install (or raw libvirt, or qemu) will do that for
> > you. So something would still need to be documented

I'm pretty sure I could script it via "virt-install" - see

https://bitbucket.org/znmeb/osjourno/src/a698f3a775b6cbbd92dd27eb619a7ae61954f91b/4Experimental/Atomic/

and

https://bitbucket.org/znmeb/osjourno/src/a698f3a775b6cbbd92dd27eb619a7ae61954f91b/3Options/QemuKVM/

> It's been documented-ish but we do need to be louder about it. It would
> also be awesome if virt-manager handled cloud-init too, the "use an ISO
> to provide cloud-init info" is a little clunky.
>
> Best,
>
> jzb
> --
> Joe Brockmeier | Principal Cloud & Storage Analyst
> jzb at redhat.com | http://community.redhat.com/
> Twitter: @jzb  | http://dissociatedpress.net/

It's clunky and it's not the way things are done in production by
people with budgets and deadlines. *That* is where I'd like to see the
focus - on documenting real-world use cases. The OpenShift blogs for
developers are a great example of what I'm talking about - they're
beautiful! I can go there and put up a Harp server or a WordPress blog
or a scalable Node app or roll my own cartridges. I'm assuming that
since Atomic is a component of "OpenShift 3" that similar
documentation will appear concurrent with the release.

And I'm not gonna let up on "Boxes" - it is worse than VMware Player,
if that's possible. ;-)