Vagrant in Fedora

Alex Drahon adrahon at redhat.com
Tue Jan 14 11:02:04 UTC 2014

On Wed 08 Jan 2014 23:30:35 GMT, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-10-17 at 13:36 +0100, Alex Drahon wrote:
>>>
>> OK, what it means is that you got the polkit prompt, which gave you
>> access to libvirtd, but then the storage pool in
>> /home/gnat/.vagrant.d/tmp/storage-pool/ was created by libvirt with root
>> as the owner so when vagrant calls qemu-img (without root privileges) it
>> fails. Bad testing on my side again...
>
> Hello
>
>    So I'm extremely interested in using vagrant-kvm on fedora. I've
> repackaged your latest git commits in an effort to get it working
> however I'm still unable to do so. My tests seem to indicate that the
> issue isn't one of polkit since I've tested it as root and the error
> messages are the same. I noticed that the standard box format for
> vagrant-kvm is qcow2. So I converted a box from vmdk to raw to qcow2 to
> use, however even so I still can't get a box started.
>
>    I can't install vagrant-mutate since there is no rpm. vagrant plugin
> install vagrant-mutate results in an error. Not sure why its trying to
> uninstall the bigdecimal gem that is provided as a rpm. Also I *just*
> noticed that it's trying to uninstall the vagrant-mutate plugin?? So it
> seems I have one installed but I guess not up to date. However vagrant
> plugin list does not list mutate as a plugin, only kvm.. so something is
> odd there.
>
> Installing the 'vagrant-mutate' plugin. This can take a few minutes...
> Installed the plugin 'vagrant-mutate (0.2.2)'!
> Uninstalling the 'vagrant-mutate' plugin...
> Uninstalling the 'vagrant-mutate' plugin...
> Uninstalling the 'vagrant-mutate' plugin...
> /usr/share/rubygems/rubygems/uninstaller.rb:118:in `uninstall':
> bigdecimal is not installed in GEM_HOME, try: (Gem::InstallError)
> 	gem uninstall -i /usr/share/gems bigdecimal
> from /usr/share/gems/gems/vagrant-1.3.3/plugins/commands/plugin/action/prune_gems.rb:139:in `block (2 levels) in call'
> 	from /usr/share/ruby/set.rb:232:in `each_key'
> 	from /usr/share/ruby/set.rb:232:in `each'
> from /usr/share/gems/gems/vagrant-1.3.3/plugins/commands/plugin/action/prune_gems.rb:129:in `block in call'
> from /usr/share/gems/gems/vagrant-1.3.3/plugins/commands/plugin/gem_helper.rb:42:in `block in with_environment'
> 	from /usr/share/rubygems/rubygems/user_interaction.rb:40:in `use_ui'
> from /usr/share/gems/gems/vagrant-1.3.3/plugins/commands/plugin/gem_helper.rb:41:in `with_environment'	from /usr/share/gems/gems/vagrant-1.3.3/plugins/commands/plugin/action/prune_gems.rb:128:in `call'
>
> <snip>....
>

> Trying to run vagrant up --provider=kvm as root results in:
>
> [root at mba Vagrant]# vagrant up --provider=kvm
> Bringing machine 'default' up with 'kvm' provider...
> [default] Importing base box 'f19'...
> Failed to convert image to specified format.
>
> the VagrantFile contents are:
> VAGRANTFILE_API_VERSION = "2"
>
> Vagrant.configure(VAGRANTFILE_API_VERSION) do |config|
>    config.vm.box = "f19"
> [...]

Hi Nathanael,

Sorry for the late response, I haven't been following the list for some
time.
Most of the work and bug fixing is currently done upstream at
https://github.com/adrahon/vagrant-kvm and we are still facing an issue
with the storage pool, both on Fedora and Ubuntu. We're working on a
workaround (using the default storage pool and allow the user to choose
another one). When it's fixed and we can do a gem release, I'll go back
to packaging it for Fedora (and look at dependencies issues).
For now, I think it's best to 'vagrant plugin install vagrant-kcm' on a
standard Vagrant install.

Alex