Proposed generic release criterion: service manipulation

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 7 18:51:14 UTC 2014

> Still working on Fedora 21 release criteria. It seems to me that there's
> one area currently lacking in the criteria which all the Products would
> probably like us to have, hence I'm proposing it as a new 'generic'
> criterion, not Product-specific. We still haven't figured out exactly
> how to present the criteria, so for now I'm proposing this one be added
> as a new Fedora 21 Alpha criterion, i.e. it goes to
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_21_Alpha_Release_Criteria (under
> "Post-install requirements"). Here's the proposed criterion:
>
> System service manipulation
>
> It must be possible to start, stop, enable and disable system services
> using the initialization framework's standard commands.
>
> I don't think it needs any footnotes beyond standard 'References'.
>
> Does this seem reasonable to everyone? Thanks!

So two or three people read this differently from how I intended,
indicating that I wrote it unclearly. Here's a second attempt:

The default system init daemon (e.g. systemd) must be capable of
starting, stopping, enabling and disabling correctly-defined services.

Footnote:

"Correctly-defined services" means that this criterion is not intended
to require there are no broken services in the distribution, but that
the init daemon itself works - therefore, the criterion is not violated
by a buggy service script, only if the init daemon itself is broken. A
sufficiently-important service being broken might constitute a violation
of another criterion - for instance, a service for a logging daemon
being broken might violate the requirement that logging works - but not
this one.

One thing that we might want to decide is whether we want to block on
SysV service compatibility, and if so, for how long. If we want to make
that blocking, we can define "correctly-defined services" to include
those native to the init daemon and sysv ones.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey