Location of Fedora cloud images

Sandro "red" Mathys red at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 17 10:55:39 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 3:16 PM, Juerg Haefliger <juergh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Sandro "red" Mathys <red at fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 4:14 PM, Juerg Haefliger <juergh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > All,
>> >
>> > The current (qcow2) Fedora 20 cloud image lives at:
>> >
>> > http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/fedora/linux/updates/20/Images/x86_64/Fedora-x86_64-20-20140407-sda.qcow2.
>
> Duh. That should have been
> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/20/Images/x86_64/Fedora-x86_64-20-20140407-sda.qcow2
>

>> > The date in the image name makes it slightly less convenient for
>> > automatic
>> > retrieval/processing of the image. Would it be possible to rearrange the
>> > location so that a 'latest' link always points to the latest image
>> > directory
>> > and the image names are date-agnostic?
>> >
>> > Something like:
>> >
>> > 20/Images/x86_64/20140407/Fedora-x86_64-20-sda.qcow2
>> > 20/Images/x86_64/20140407/Fedora-x86_64-20-sda.raw.xz
>> > 20/Images/x86_64/latest -> 20140407
>>
>> Juerg, I think you are looking for those metalinks:
>>
>> Fedora 19:
>> http://cloud.fedoraproject.org/fedora-19.x86_64.qcow2
>> http://cloud.fedoraproject.org/fedora-19.i386.qcow2
>>
>> Fedora 20:
>> http://cloud.fedoraproject.org/fedora-20.x86_64.qcow2
>> http://cloud.fedoraproject.org/fedora-20.i386.qcow2
>>
>> Latest Stable (i.e. currently Fedora 20):
>> http://cloud.fedoraproject.org/fedora-latest.x86_64.qcow2
>> http://cloud.fedoraproject.org/fedora-latest.i386.qcow2
>
> Ah that helps but how do I know if the image was updated since the last
> download?

Well, all those links should result in a 301 moved permanently, with
the new location being the normal download url, i.e. with the date in
the file name. I don't think there's another way to check what you'll
get from those metalinks. Obviously, if you just want to know whether
a newer image exists at all, just check the directory of the file
you're pointed at (i.e. the one you used so far).

-- Sandro