Question on documentation location for upgrading the kernel on a Fedora AWS cloud server

Mark C. Allman mcallman at allmanpc.com
Wed Jun 18 19:22:03 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-06-17 at 14:28 -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 12:54:09 -0400
> "Mark C. Allman" <mcallman at allmanpc.com> wrote:
>
> > Where is the documentation for upgrading to a newer kernel once you
> > have a server set up and running?  You can't just run "yum upgrade"
> > or "dnf upgrade."  I've googled around and there are all kinds of
> > docs, blogs, etc., on setting up a new server but I can't find
> > anything documenting how to update.
> >
> > Just point me to the docs. I can "RTFM."  ;-]
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> yum update or dnf update should both just work
>
> Dennis

Just out of curosity right after I sent my original e-mail to the list I
tested kernel 3.14.7. I ran into a boot error but not the same error.
Aha -- another clue.

The error is "ERROR: mmu_update failed with rc=-22"

I haven't seen that one before.  I googled around a bit and found a few
interesting comments, e.g., from a few years ago pointing out an issue
with PV-Grub when upgrading "Amazon Linux AMI."  I'm not using an Amazon
Linux AMI but at least others have run into this before.

I created a new micro instance from AMI "Fedora-x86_64-20-20131211.1-sda
(ami-1337187a)," ran "yum upgrade" to get the 3.14.7 kernel, rebooted
and it runs fine.

In the EC2 User's Guide I see the following for the above error:

    Seek assistance by posting your issue to the
    Developer Forums or contacting Premium Support.

OK, so I will.  Anyone have a clue?  Maybe a missing package?  Reinitialize
something?  All suggestions are welcome.  I've been running the systems that
are having the problem since last Fall so there have been quite a few updates,
including from F19 to F20.

Thanks,

--
Mark C. Allman, PMP, CSM