Fedora @ Google Cloud

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at google.com
Wed Jun 18 20:20:05 UTC 2014

Hi Renich,

I'd like to volunteer with this project of building an official Fedora
image for GCE.

Right now I have an image that I use for myself, I built it using
appliance-creator and started with Vaidas' kickstarts, but I replaced
cloud-init with the Google packages you mention below.

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 5:09 PM, Renich Bon Ciric
<renich at woralelandia.com> wrote:
> I wonder about the services:
> https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/compute-image-packages
>
> These are used for different purposes:
> - Google API connection
> - User creation/deletion
> - HHD live mounting/unmounting
> - SSH Key CRUD
> - etc.

So I like the idea of using cloud-init but the problem is that it
doesn't give us the same integrations with tools like gcutil (e.g.
gcutil ssh <cloud-host> does not work since it expects an user account
with your name instead of "fedora", the Google packages will also
manage user accounts and SSH keys after the VM is up.) I built the
packages from the GitHub sources (I wrote a small specfile for them),
the 1.1.3 release is not enough for Fedora 20 since it doesn't have
systemd support, but trunk head does have support, so 1.1.4 should be
enough when it gets released. I'd be willing to become a package
maintainer for Fedora packages for these GCE tools. Should I submit
builds for these packages (more specifically, google-compute-daemon,
google-startup-scripts and gcimagebundle)? Or is someone else already
planning to do that?

There was also the DHCP issue mentioned earlier. I contributed a patch
for that bug that was already released in Fedora 20. My last test
image build didn't have to include a custom dhclient anymore, so
that's good news!
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2014-7468/dhcp-4.2.6-5.fc20

Let me know how I could help, I'd really like to get involved and help
to get an official Fedora image in GCE.

Cheers!
Filipe

DISCLAIMER: Google is my employer, though I'm not directly involved in
GCE. My contributions here are mainly as a Fedora enthusiast and
volunteer. My involvement does not imply official support by Google.