Fedora @ Google Cloud

Renich Bon Ciric renich at woralelandia.com
Fri Jun 20 08:38:21 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 3:04 AM, Garrett Holmstrom
<gholms at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> I believe cloud-init treats "user-data" attributes the same way it treats
> user-data in EC2, so if that works then that would give us a fairly painless
> way to install or configure whatever is holding testing back.  Perhaps that
> would be a suitable next step to try for.
>
> Since it runs at boot time and goes away cloud-init could be made to replace
> the startup scripts if it isn't already sufficient.  I doubt it can replace
> the daemons in a reasonable manner without a decent amount of work, though
> -- the way GCE expects instances to work with metadata is somewhat unusual,
> and cloud-init simply isn't built to handle that (yet).  Assuming there is
> enough interest, though, I might be interested in working on something
> relatively portable that can do things like mounting disks based on metadata
> since that would be useful to me on EC2 as well.  With any luck that sort of
> thing could potentially even go on the stock Fedora image, too.

Well, actually, vanilla Fedora is able to mount HDDs and take them
away. It's KVM/Qemu in the end (I think). So, basically, the daemons
manage SSH keys, sudo entries and hostname. That's all for now... I
think...

I've successfully tested them on Fedora. They're already packaged
(twice, by the way) and tested. There is a thread on this list where
I... let myself go, hehe. The license is ASL 2.0 and I think we could
have it in the repos.

The init scripts, though, I haven't checked. But I see some references
to firstboot and other stuff that make them seem odd. I need to learn
more of them. Also, I need to learn more about cloud-init so to see
what services does it render useless. Knowing this, I'd, gladly, try
to convince the google guys of not doing duplicate work... not that my
reputation precedes me or anything (thankfully!) but I'd like to try.

--
It's hard to be free... but I love to struggle. Love isn't asked for;
it's just given. Respect isn't asked for; it's earned!

http://www.woralelandia.com/
http://www.introbella.com/