Fedora @ Google Cloud

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at google.com
Tue Jun 24 04:30:44 UTC 2014

Hi Andy,

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 8:15 AM, Andy Grimm <agrimm at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure from this thread exactly who's going to do what work
> here, but I am certainly willing to chip in on the cloud-init work to
> make the GCE functionality closer to what a typical GCE user might
> expect.

Last time I tried it, it seems that the main limitation of cloud-init
is that it wants you to define the list of users to be created
statically, while GCE wants to give you a list of keys for you to
create the users that correspond to those keys...

The main reason is that using "gcutil ssh <hostname>" will try to ssh
to "<username>@<external_ip>" so when there are many users associated
to a single project it makes sense to create all the users and place
the authorized_keys files appropriately.

The other difference is that, as far as I can tell, cloud-init only
runs once when the machine boots, while GCE wants something that runs
periodically to check if there are new keys to be added and possibly
new users to be created. google-compute-daemon does it by launching a
daemon that will periodically check the set of keys, I guess if it is
possible to implement that in cloud-init (or something like cron might
also work) that should be fine.

Cheers!
Filipe