Modular Kernel Packaging for Cloud

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 5 15:59:34 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2014 at 10:08:04 -0500,
>   Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>

>> So you agree multi-tiered subpackages is a bad idea, but then you
>> propose a netfilter specific subpackage?  ... Probably not.  They'll
>> likely just be in kernel-core.
>

> Couldn't the planned module provides allow something like this to work
> without worry much about which modules are in which packages? netfilter
> could juts require the modules it needs and it would pull in and extra
> kernel module packages that are needed.

Possibly.  But it's not just the installed system to be taken into
account.  Every additional subpackage and list is something that needs
to be maintained and further complicates the kernel.spec file.  It
adds to testing all the combinations of kernel packages and
subpackages being installed (or not) and upgraded, etc.  For the sake
of the kernel maintainers, keeping it limited is probably a good idea.

And honestly, a firewall in today's world seems pretty darn "core" to me anyway.

josh