Modular Kernel Packaging for Cloud

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 6 16:32:55 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 11:02:47AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> If it's _necessary_, that's one thing.  I've yet to really see any data
> backing up necessity on any of this at all though.  Right now it seems
> to be sitting in the "nice to have" category.

For the record, it is _literally_ sitting in our "nice to have" category.
See
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud_Changelist#Change:_Cloud-Friendly_Kernel_Packaging

:)

> Perhaps someone from the cloud team could look at existing images from
> other distros and figure out kernel sizes there, and how it plays into
> usage and cost in those environments?

On the ubuntu EC2 image, /lib/modules/$(uname -r) is 24M + 5.2M vmlinuz +
1.1M in /lib/firmware. Total package size is 32M on disk. And 5.9M initrd.

CoreOS is bigger, with 33M in /lib/modules and 5.2M in lib/firmware, and a
/19M vmlinuz.

Which may just go to show that _calling_ yourself ultra-minimal and focused
is actually more important than _being_ that.