Fedora Atomic and Docker Host Image [was Re: Docker Host Image: Requirements?]

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 6 16:42:37 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 03:39:01PM +0900, Sandro red Mathys wrote:
> > It _could_ be as simple as just shipping with docker and maybe etcd, but
> > we could make some other changes too. For example, we could drop
> > cloud-init and just have a minimal metadata service.
> Not sure we want to use different metadata client services for
> different cloud images, though. Happy to hear more opinions on it,
> though. It sure is a promising new tool.

I am half-minded to make the proposal that we drop cloud-init. We haven't
built up a big library of cloud-init examples for Fedora, and once
<https://github.com/cgwalters/min-metadata-service/issues/2> is implemented,
we can focus on doing so as simple shell scripts. Most cloud-init examples
I've seen using the cloud-config syntax end up not being very cross-platform
anyway.

Maybe a cloud-init enabled image would become one of the special cases
instead of the default.

> >   1) It actually _would_ let us get python out of the image, significantly
> >      reducing image size.
> Yes, it would. If we're also sure we don't want firewalld, nfs-utils, ...

I'm sure we don't want firewalld as it is, but it is being rewritten in C,
so we could revisit at that point.

nfsutils only needs python for mountstats and nfsiostat (which also reads
/proc/self/mountstats). These could be subpackaged, or rewritten in C if
it's important.

> >      - It is a reasonably-scopable target with a single purpose. Doing this
> >        for something like big data tools would be much harder, because
> >        each instance of that will probably get further configuration.
> Are you saying Docker doesn't need further configuration? It does need
> to know what container to get, where from, what to do with them, etc,
> doesn't it? But Docker being an otherwise simple and small image/tool
> should make it the prime candidate for leading the effort. So, agreed.

Sorry, by "further configuration" I meant "possibly some other packages
added on to the base to fit each situation". But maybe I'm wrong about thta.

> >      - It's small, so it gives us a more manageable point to work on
> >        issues like mirroring.
> "it" referring to what? the Docker Host image? The ostree? Docker? ...?

Docker Host Image.

> One last question: even with ostree, we'd still create the image using
> ImageFactory/Anaconda, right?

[will reply on this in further subthread]