Fedora Atomic and Docker Host Image [was Re: Docker Host Image: Requirements?]

Joe Brockmeier jzb at redhat.com
Thu Mar 6 16:58:04 UTC 2014

On 03/06/2014 10:42 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 03:39:01PM +0900, Sandro red Mathys wrote:
>>> It _could_ be as simple as just shipping with docker and maybe etcd, but
>>> we could make some other changes too. For example, we could drop
>>> cloud-init and just have a minimal metadata service.
>> Not sure we want to use different metadata client services for
>> different cloud images, though. Happy to hear more opinions on it,
>> though. It sure is a promising new tool.
>
> I am half-minded to make the proposal that we drop cloud-init. We haven't
> built up a big library of cloud-init examples for Fedora, and once
> <https://github.com/cgwalters/min-metadata-service/issues/2> is implemented,
> we can focus on doing so as simple shell scripts. Most cloud-init examples
> I've seen using the cloud-config syntax end up not being very cross-platform
> anyway.

How would this go over for people coming from $other_images that have
cloud-init and expect to use it? If I understand correctly, you're
saying their existing stuff isn't going to work well w/Fedora even if we
have cloud-init, but I wonder if not having it is going to be seen as a
negative?

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier | Principal Cloud & Storage Analyst