Modular Kernel Packaging for Cloud

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 6 18:48:01 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 01:10:46PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> > I think Josh is mostly there.  He has 58MB + 5M vmlinuz + <similar?>
>> > firmwre.
>> Firmware is owned by linux-firmware, not the kernel package.  I didn't
>> include it in my kernel numbers for that reason.
>
> Currently, this is required by the kernel for pre but not at runtime. (I
> guess /bin/kernel-install ends up putting things into the initramfs.) Is
> there any easy way to do that differently and any win from it?

Possibly.  The majority of the firmware is needed by the drivers.  If
those drivers aren't in kernel-core, the pre isn't needed on
kernel-core.  It would remain on kernel and possibly be added to
kernel-drivers.

Aside from that (or in combination with it), it would basically be
splitting up linux-firmware into more subpackages or maybe putting
requires on specific files.

josh